Wednesday, October 14, 2009

In the PICU after a big Scare.

I had started my new post almost two weeks ago. Loading pictures and writing about all these great things happening! Well, I never finished and posted it. But I'll continue that one later.

On Saturday morning Caleb came down with a fever. Micaiah had been sick the entire week before. I called their pediatrician and we had planned to take Caleb in on Sunday to be tested for flu. But on Sunday morning, Caleb's fever must have spiked. My mother in law stayed over the night before and was in Caleb's room. I was awoken frantically and when I ran into Caleb's room he was blue already. He had been on two to three liters of oxygen the day before. I grabbed the ambubag (once more), and started to do CPR. Caleb was seizing...his eyes were rolling, he was shaking, lips blue, and face pale. CPR wasn't helping enough while he was seizing. His O2 dropped down all the way to 21! As I continued to perform CPR I cursed Satan and called out to God. It seemed like he was seizing and blue forever but it was probably not that long. When he stopped his eyes slowly closed and his body became completely limp. My heart dropped. I thought we lost him. (Looking back now I realize that, that thought was silly. His monitor showed that he still had a heartrate and a little bit of 02.) But I wasn't obviously all there. After what felt like forever, he opened his eyes again and started breathing. I was still doing CPR at this point. His 02 went back up to the 90s with help and I quickly hooked him back up to the oxygen on 5 liters. Right after we got him stable the firefighters flew into his room frantic. They took over and we headed to Kapiolani in the ambulance.
They discovered that he had pneumonia after taking a chest xray. The flu test showed negative for influenza A and B. His white blood cell count was high. But all the other blood tests didnt show anything. I think he had walking pneumonia that week...we just didnt know because he seemed fine.
Today is day 4 that he is in the PICU. They put him on cpap and at first he fought it. So they just put him on trach collar with some oxygen. But later Sunday night he had to be put back on cpap. So they are now weaning him off of cpap and he does well when not on it. As I am typing this, Caleb is in the OR. His trach doctor wanted to do a bronchoscopy on him where they go down the trachea and into the lungs with a long camera. They will also dialate his trachea if need be in order to put a bigger trach in. Caleb's trach has never been there as a respiratory device but for controlling his secretions. It was a hard decision for us to make but we decided to go with it and felt comfortable with our decision as it will be better for him in the long run and possibly help him to get his trach out completely later.
He's such a strong boy! He wasn't scared when I told him what was going to happen today. I wish I had as much courage as him! He sees Jesus and angels all around him all the time...I know it!
He should be out of OR now so we are heading back! I will try to keep you updated as I can!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Praying fiercely for you today. Hope to come up and see you. Psalm 27:13-14

Blessings,
Tiffany